Sunday, June 28, 2009

Little House on the Railing


Back in the '70's, with my own children going through dozens of books a week and as we built a life after a move from the suburbs of Seattle and Los Angeles to a rural area in the hills of Southern Indiana, I had the chance to catch up on books that were not part of my own upbringing. Included in that re-education were The Narnia Tales of CS Lewis, The Lord of the Ring series by Tolkien, and, of course, Wilder's Little House on the Prairie tales. The photo above, or, more accurately, the title, brought to mind plesant memories of those years in the not so distant past. A b&w for the Monochrome Weekly theme, more of which can be found here.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good memories. I thought it must be a nest box, we have one on our shed.

Bengbeng said...

i came to this post... and went away and came back again. it took me that long to understand the pic :) and the title

Rune Eide said...

I hope you get lots of birds for the house - it deserves it.

Samantha ~ Holly and Zac ~ said...

Nice shot, thanks for visiting my blog.

Regina said...

Great shot.

Anonymous said...

Definitely, a little house on the prairie.

Canada geese make a mess over here too...:-/
I am sure we have more here than in Canada..lol

GreensboroDailyPhoto said...

This B&W photo also reminds us that home means something different to all of us!

Robin said...

Or perhaps the little house behind the little house ;-). It's adorable, and makes a very sweet photo.

Those were some of my childhood favorites as well, and I've been known to take them down from the shelf even as an adult as well.

Daryl said...

Little house on the railing .. could be the basis of a TV show .. ;-)

Anonymous said...

A wonderful photograph to bring back memories of yesteryear. I love watching Little House as a child.
Wishing you a scent-sational Monochrome Weekly!
Patty