Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Wondering about Yokosuka

Spent some of last night revisiting Yokosuka, Japan, while listening to the Colts lose to the Titans. Like everything else, Yokosuka, where Diane and I spent our Navy years, has changed dramatically in the forty some years since we were there. That time was just seventeen years removed from the end of WWII, a war which included the fire bombing of Tokyo and the dropping of atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Japan was a defeated nation and its rebirth was in its infancy. Yokosuka, then what I perceived as a ramshackle home port of a sizeable segment of the US Navy, is now a city of close to half a million people and is a thriving port city that still includes the US Navy but much more as well. I am stunned by the changes and I attribute that to the much more slowed down living pace of small town southern Indiana where a new bridge and a new federal building over a span of fifty years is more than enough change. Of course, you know that I don't get around much and am surprised by the sudden apearance of a new place of business right here in Loogootee - like the Williams pharmacy that is all of a sudden right there at the intersection of 50 and 231. Oh well. No big deal. The sun still rises in the east and sets in the west and the seasons change. But you will have to excuse me if I do gauk a bit when I am out and about in this ever changing world of ours.

No comments: