Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The money we spend on guns and bullets and not on butter

The last few days have seen much news coverage and commentary on the 'supposed' cut in defense programs. Yes, there has been a cut in some defense programs but that hasn't gone on to a similar cut in defense spending - that budget continues to rise. Pardon my English but this is all very stupid just as war is stupid. I want you to take a minute and think about how much we, the United States, spend on the military. It's a lot. Now think about how much other countries spend on its military - say, Russia, China, France, North Korea, Iran. Don't have any idea, right? Well, go here and take a gander at the bar graph (a little ways down) and then tell me what in heavens we are doing. I'm not going to sit on the edge of my seat and hold my breath waiting for a sensible or sane answer cause I don't think one exists.

No comments: