Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Interesting stuff - Alfie Goodrich interview

Alfie Goodrich is a photographer in Tokyo that I much enjoy. Here's an interview at ephotos.com that I found interesting, especially where he talked about working with students:

Gear doesn’t really matter. It's your eye that does the shooting. Not that nice gear doesn’t help, but it isn’t everything and even though in the film days I knew lots of people who loved 'gear', these days people seem to get seduced by gear even more easily and high-end gear is pitched at consumers rather than just at pros, so quite a few of my students are pretty well kitted out. The first thing we work on is getting them away from P [program] mode and on to Manual as quickly as possible. That way I can actually start to teach them to understand what the combinations of aperture, speed and ISO can do for them to enable them to get a decent picture in any conditions and establish an understanding of light and how to work with it.

Hmmm. Have been using P for some time now. Maybe it's time to try the M mode. Here's Alfie's blog that I visit on a regular basis.

No comments: