Saturday, September 5, 2009

College Football 2009

Notre Dame opens its 2009 season against western 'powerhouse' Nevada today. See that the experts are still wondering about the Irish - will the team be the powerhouse that rocked Hawaii in its last game last January? or will it be the one that lost five of its last eight games last season? The predictions I've seen are pretty much undecided with the Irish given a slight edge in a shootout. Home field advantage?

I also see that the Irish have a pretty easy schedule this year with the AD claiming its the new reality - BCS, you know. So now we should be putting an asterisk in the record books showing a distinction between this new era of easy schedules and the former era of always having one of the toughest schedules in college football. Weiss should be licking his lips and seeing all sorts of ND winning records with his name on them in the near future. But I wouldn't count on it cause this is also the new, not so brilliant ND football team. Might be that ND is finally getting a schedule where they are playing teams of a similar caliber, something which I heartily endorse cause I hate to see them get stomped by the USC's and the 'Syracuse's' out there.

Today's game - I'm going to watch it and I hope its fun and entertaining and I want my alma mater to win. But I place no great store in Weiss being able to restore the Irish to its once grand status.

Other notes: Eric wonders if Weiss can motivate 18 year olds. And the Hoosiers did win its game with Eastern Kentucky Thursday night, 19-13. One win in the books for that other alma mater of mine.

No comments: