Friday, February 23, 2007

Magic in earlier times

By the way, while I was going to and from Bloomington on Thursday (a supply run), I was going over those sports magicians from the last 25 to 30 years and wondering who were the similar magic players from the 60's and the 70's. My memory provided me with no ready answers though it did offer some possibilities: Wilt Chamberlain who was dominant but for the most part unable to help his teams win championships in the '60's. Bill Russell was so good and his teams won, both in college and at the pro level. Julius Erving was a superstar during the 70's and was a joy to watch. Jack Nicklaus? I was not a big golf fan during those years; certainly he was dominant and a winner. Two or three teams might qualify: Stengel's Yankees; Wooden's Bruins; and Auerbach's Celtics. All winners. I know I am leaving much out here, and given a few more trips to Bloomington, or maybe a little help from you all, a whole host of other superstars could get their due right here. For now, enough. Got to go commiserate some more on TW's loss.

Update June 1st 12:25am:

Mystery Golfers - from left to right, top to bottom:

1.Jim Murphy
2. Diane Bird
3. Pam Byron
4. Vic Wallace
5. Junior Byron
6. Clyde Wake
7. Bob Norris10. Allen Swayze
8. Charlie Sheetz
9. Morris Cornelius

No comments: