Monday, February 26, 2007

The Swede Takes the Trophy

Diane, with Swedish blood running through her veins, cheered the triumph of her fellow Swede, Henrik Stenson, after it was all over and done with and I told her the results. And I cheer the results as well. NBC made a go of it and I found myself watching more of the match than I had expected to. The Buckeye/Badger game was just around the corner over at CBS and it ended up being a whale of a game with the Buckeyes prevailing, using a standard weapon of theirs, the blocked shot, to thwart the Badgers last attempt to steal one from the OSU home arena. But mostly I was at NBC enjoying the back and forth nature of the competition and listening to the prattle of the commentators. No real gripping moment, lots of not so good shots, errant drives, fairway shots into bunkers, missed sand saves, missed putts, but still enjoyable. The course was sterling - would love to play it someday (next life maybe).

And while all that was happening, Fred Funk, the little old guy, over 50 in any case, the straight shooter who hits it more like you and me - short and straight (?), was winning down in Mexico. Cheers.

Yesterday at the course: windy, cool and wet. Not a whole lot of golfing.

No comments: