Sunday, February 25, 2007

Match Play

So it's now down to two: Jason Sobel at espn.com is trying to make the case for watching these two excellent golfers

MARANA, Ariz. -- I know, I know. Geoff Ogilvy is playing Henrik Stenson in the WGC-Accenture Match Play final and you don't care. Or you care, but not enough to watch. Or you care enough to watch, but not enough to watch 36 holes. read more here.

But in the end I can't tell whether he's talking with tongue in cheek or not. He didn't convince me to tune in, but I will, at least for some of it, maybe as background as I do other things. I was hoping for a semi final match between TW and Charlie Howell - that would have been fun to watch - Tiger may have even treated him like a human being during the match, given their friendship, real friendship. But maybe not. A more perfect final match? TW and, hmmm, Jim Furek would have been more than okay; but Phil Mickelson a more ideal choice. You know that Phil would be all smiles going around the course, and you know that Tiger would be anything but until the outcome had been decided. Could have been fun, and something NBC would have given, oh, five minutes of free advertising? better make that an hour, rather than the Geoff and Henrik show.

Other options: how about the Buckeyes and the Badgers on a competing network? I'll be watching some of each.

Hey - I'm writing from the golf course where it is a little cool, a little windy, but very playable. Rains maybe later.

No comments: