Monday, September 17, 2007

Johnny Woulda Loved It

Way back when I was a novice golfer, Johnny Jackson and Paul Perry took me under their wing and pretty much showed me the ropes, so much so that a couple of years later Ron Acuff would comment on my swing that it hardly came forward at all. Of course, it was a swing that I had learned watching Johnny and Paul, a swing that was more deliberate and accurate than zippy and distance oriented. Be that as it may, it was Johnny and Paul (and Diane who bought me a set of clubs when I turned fifty) that got me started on this winding and glorious road of golf. And it was Johnny who showed me how to have some fun while learning the game. Johnny was an endearing man, a favorite of many, not a mean bone in his body, a really good guy. And he had a sense of fun just for fun. On many an occasion when we were out there pounding our balls all over the place, he would throw out a challenge, a quarter if you can hit a ball, say off of #8 tee box, longer and more accurate than he could. Johnny was not long, nor was I for that matter; but longer than Johnny. He of course was betting on his nerves being steadier than mine, his accuracy being much better than mine. And sometimes he would take my quarter, more often not. Which was fine with him, he was doing it for the fun of it. Nowadays, his grandson carries on that tradition with me. That would be Larry Hembree and he too likes the fun of it though in this match up the tables are turned as I am the one betting on my nerves and my accuracy topping his youth and his power. One big difference though; Johnny would give me his quarter, and take my quarter, with a twinkle in his eye and a little smile. Larry would just as soon give me a poke in the eye as one of his quarters; and of course, when it is my quarter going to him, that is cause for some kind of celebration and a parade down Main Street. Well, maybe that's an exaggeration, but just a little one. In any case, Johnny would be pleased and proud that the game continues, and yes, just for the fun of it. Larry and I sure do enjoy the fun of the golf and also the reminders of the man who made his imprint on the two of us so many years ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike,

Johnie Jackson took many more quarters from me on golf course than I ever took from him. However, I am doing a might better with you than I did with Johnie. I will admit I have some catching up to do. I think you like taking my money more than you admitted.

I will say - you pegged grandpa just about right. He was one of the best, Thanks. - Larry H.