Friday, March 9, 2007

Heroes at the Golf Course

Live blogging at the golf course where old friends and new golfers have showed up to take advantage of the sunny skies and the warm. The warm, like in over 50* and without an icy blast coming at us from the northwest. It's nice and that is a nice change.

Diane and I were talking about heroes the other night - PBS was doing a show on Willa Cather, one of Diane's literary heroes, she who said, and I paraphrase, the end is nothing, the road is all. (Lakeview golfers certainly ascribe to that sentiment, being well aware that the final score has little to do with why they spend time out here pushing around a tiny sphere; rather it is the path that is shared, the comradeship, the being together for a little while. Some of us do care, in an offhand way, for the final result; you'll allow us our little waywardness, won't you?)) Diane remembered one of my youthful heroes: Ernie Banks, that long, lean and lanky shortstop for the Cubs who always wanted to play two. What exuberance he had for the game! I still remember his bursting onto the baseball scene back in the '50's. He was a joy to watch even as the Cubs continued to fail in their attempts to win ball games. But maybe they, too, ascribed to Willa's maxim: the road is all.

Who are your heroes? Do you know your kids' heroes?

3 comments:

Marty Bird said...

Heroes? With my subscription to Sports Illustrated in the 70s I was able to follow many sports heroes. Tony Dorsett from Pitt, Notre Dame faves Joe Montana and Kris Haines (never forget that classic come from behind Cotton Bowl victory in '79) . . . but the man I most wanted to emulate was Charlie Hustle - Pete Rose. All through my baseball career I chose the number 14 in hopes some of Pete's intense love of the game would channel through to me. He was truly devoted to the love of the game. I admired that quality then, as I do today.

michael bird said...

Hey, Marty. Ernie Banks also wore the number 14. Wonder who Lucas is looking at with wondering eyes.

birde said...

Lucas is fascinated with David Eckstein, the St. Louis shortstop whose bat stands taller than the man himself.