Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Mid Week Follies

From here and there:
-Mavs stay alive with big 4th quarter - best team in the NBA?
-what's with all the sweeping? Cavs, Pistons, Bulls had the brooms.
-what in the world happened to the Pacers this year? Big disappointment.
-Bush vetoes for the 2nd time - the bring-the-troops home bill
-Blair to step down - British to find out what really happened during the past several years, maybe.
-Gonzales and Wolfowitz hold onto their jobs, at least for the moment.
-Why is the Bible Romney's favorite non-fiction book? Why not Joe Smith's tome? What is your favorite book, fiction or non-fiction? Let me think on this for a day or two then I'll answer both parts, or not. My immediate answer is that my interest right now is in such and such and admit that I do not have a favorite all time author, not that I can think of offhand. Would that work for Romney and other celebrities? Should.
-PBS ran at least a two part series on the Mormons these last two nights - caught most of the first night and very little of the second night. Quite a story what the Mormons have gone through and accomplished in their short history. If you lived in the middle of the 1800's, would you be a believer? Are you a believer now? Each to his own.
-Catholic Church revealing Irish sex abuse. Sad, sad, sad, and then some more sad.
-and yes I did finish Hocus Pocus the other day. A good read but one that is easy to put down and come back to when the mood strikes you. I like the Japanese warden who would have preferred to be a bird. What's with the protagonist's name - Eugene Debs Hartke? Was Vonnegut saying something about or to Vance Hartke? I remember Senator Hartke from my college years. Hmmm, the link says he is known for his opposition to the Vietnam War - I didn't know that. The two of them might have been pals somewhere along the line. Any ideas?

People out here playing golf. Rain maybe this afternoon, maybe not.

No comments: