Monday, November 19, 2007

Golfing Tip for a Monday Evening

Diane received a Golf Tips calendar from her older sister out in California in the mail today and a couple of things caught my eye. For one, this putting under pressure drill:

Place ten balls at a distance of four feet from the cup and gradually work yourself up to sinking fifty in a row.


Hmmmm, I thought. Fifty in a row. Five or maybe even ten would be more my speed. My main problem with these kind of repetitive drills, especially with chipping and putting, is the wear on my back - after five minutes I need to be doing something else. But, what the heck, lets try it out right here in my own living room (Diane refused the offer to participate saying the living room is different than the putting green; yes, that's true, but not near as convenient, especially during commercials or tv programs that just aren't all that gripping, or inclement weather or even the dark of night...). So I went ahead and tried it out and by golly if I didn't get up to eighteen or nineteen in a row rather quickly. And for sure the pressure did mount each time I neared my own Monday-night-between-eight-and-nine record.

So, will this help me on the golf course next time I've got a four foot (or three foot) putt that's going to make a difference? Don't know but would hope so and I do believe that examining one's game and working at it does help. Do think I'll give Diane the benefit of the doubt and try the same drill out at the golf course maybe tomorrow afternoon. How about you? How many four foot putts can you make in a row? Think I'll challenge the boys next time I'm with them, just for fun of course.

No comments: