Wednesday, November 21, 2007

More Golfing Tips from a Calendar: Putting Recap, Chipping

Anybody who has played golf with me this year, or read my groans and moans on this blog, know that I have had all sorts of fun with my chipping and putting this year, like any semblance of consistency and skill has disappeared. Oh, an occasional blast from the past and a round that is sterling. But for the most part, misery. So, I continue to moan but also look for a fix to the breakdown. (I refuse to say it's age cause it aint...)

So, the arrival of the big sister calendar the other day has given me yet one more item to look for answers that golfers have been looking for ever since the game was invented (by King Henry the 8th? go here for one answer - the Dutch!).

Monday night here at home I tried the four foot make as many as you can in a row drill to improve one's ability to make a putt under pressure (got up to eighteen or nineteen). At Diane's suggestion that a real golf green is the only real test, I tried that Tuesday morning (between doctor visits) out on #2 green and got myself up to thirteen putts in a row in a short period of time. And then later in the day, in the Denson-Bird, Wininger-Jones scramble, I even made a few putts that would qualify as the proof of the pudding (?), the transfer of knowledge. So, that might be a worthwhile drill to engage in every now and then. I would suggest a five minute time limit, maybe even three, and a variety of greens (but do pay attention to putting mechanics!).

There was a second tip I tried out which was just as successful and actually more impressive. That would be what the calendar's author called the 'pop, hop and stop' chip, something effective from 20-40 yards from the pin. The particulars:

Ball off of your back foot, stance slightly open; start with hands in front of ball, hold wrists firm in a half swing back, no more than waist high. On the downswing, keep wrists locked and sweep through the ball with a full (?) follow through. Executed properly, the ball should pop on a low trajectory, hop once and stop quickly.

Tried it out and had much success striking the ball cleanly (!) and getting it onto the green and heading towards the pin. Did not see the 'stop quickly' part all that much but still was pleased with the results, especially considering the dismal chipping that had visited me during the round with the boys on Monday. And yes, did have a very nice chip during the late afternoon scramble that led to an easy birdie on #2. Again, proof of the pudding time...

Time to head to the golf course - sun is breaking through the clouds at the moment. Hurray!

No comments: