Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Watery Wednesday: Great Blue and his Wooden Buddy


When I first saw these two guys sitting on a log on Monday, I thought Mr. Blue Heron had found himself a buddy. As I approached to have a closer look, the buddy turned out to be a more permanent part of the picture than I had realized, and not a penguin in a fur coat or a big old owl or a marsh hawk. Reminded me of Tom Hanks in Cast Away and his long time friend, Wilson (the soccer ball). This is Watery Wednesday and more such photos can be found here.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

kden said...

That would have been fun to watch, wondering how long he stayed with his 'friend'. Great black and white.

Anonymous said...

Cool! What an odd formation in that log. I wonder if that heron thought it was a friend when it landed. Great shot!

Mojo said...

Very striking shot! I wonder if the heron even noticed his "friend" or if he knew what it was all along.

Driftwood makes some curious shapes doesn't it?

Connie T. said...

I love watching those big birds. He does look like he is part of the log.

Anonymous said...

Ohh...it would appear to be another bird! lol.

Jan said...

Great capture, I really like the reflections.

lilly said...

Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Your photo is wonderful, and even more so when it is enlarged. He's a beautiful bird and that's a very interesting log. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

That's one of the nice things about camera's and photographs.....we can go back in time and investigate the things that were unseen to us. Photography is a great tool to review the Moment.

Diane said...

Wonderful picture! That poor knock-kneed, scruffy heron really does need a friend.