Saturday, October 20, 2007

Catching up on Larry's Stories

On Thursday, Diane slipped me that single page of the Loogootee Tribune, the one that contains Larry's stories about this and that. I faithfully carried it around with me for two days, from home to work and then back again, tucking it within the pages of The Book Thief. My expectations were that there would come a minute or two somewhere that would allow me to slip into Larry's world and enjoy a bit of a walk into the past. He had even given me a heads up a week ago about his intentions to write a story of some devilish thing that he has been reluctant to write about.

So, after I see him again this morning, and after I take the big mower home and cut the grass, and after I return to the golf course and take over from Diane, and just minutes before the start of the ND-SC ball game, then I get to read his story. And it was worth the wait; in fact, it probably aged well during that unexpectedly long waiting period. In any case, a good story and a good telling of one of those times in our growing up that each of us has probably experienced where we were faced with a choice and, well, go read it. Find out a bit about the Larry man as a boy.

No comments: