Monday, July 30, 2007

Items that caught my eye early on a Monday morning:

-Picture of Natalie Gulbis clutching her first trophy after winning the Evian Masters

-Obit on Ingmar Bergman whose movies would play at the Avon Theatre in South Bend and were much the thing to see and talk about among the college crowd. It was also at the Avon Theatre that I saw Danielle Darrieux, French actress and beauty, for the first time in a movie, The Red and the Black (excellent movie and book, btw). I remember going home that night and telling my dad that I had fallen in love with her. He stopped me in my tracks by saying that he too as a young man some twenty years earlier had fallen in love with her. Holy Cow... I had forgotten that she also played in Lady Chatterley's Lover, a movie based on the novel by D.H. Lawrence.

-Former VP Al Gore getting a WAPO editorial and taking current VP to the woodshed for trashing the office. His concluding paragraph suggests in an oblique way his rosy opinion of the current office holders: "...Since the Carter administration left office, we have been criticized for many things. Yet I remain enormously proud of what we did in those four years, especially that we told the truth, obeyed the law and kept the peace...."

Ok, 'nough for now as Diane has risen from the dead - thought she would sleep in forever this morning after all her traveling yesterday...

No comments: